Thursday, March 22, 2012

Book Review: The Scent of Cherry Blossoms by Cindy Woodsmall

The Scent of Cherry Blossoms: A Romance from the Heart of Amish CountryThe Scent of Cherry Blossoms: A Romance from the Heart of Amish Country by Cindy Woodsmall
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

From the book:
Annie Martin loves the Plain ways of her Old Order Mennonite people, like those revered by her beloved grandfather. Retreating from a contentious relationship with her mother, Annie goes to live with her Daadi Moses in Apple Ridge.

But as spring moves into Pennsylvania and Annie spends time amongst the cherry trees with the handsome Aden Zook, she wishes she could forget how deeply the lines between the Old Order Amish and Old Order Mennonite are drawn.

Can Annie and Aden find a place for their love to bloom in the midst of the brewing storm?

My review:

This book is a sister story to The Christmas Singing by the same author which involves Mattie and Gideon.

I enjoyed the story, the blossoming romance and the innocence of Annie and Aden's love. The story line while not strong, was interesting and did keep my attention. In fact, I read the book in two days!

I've always had a fascination with the Amish but I was not aware of the Old Order Mennonites. It was interesting to learn the different cultures and to see how they could clash on some fronts like dating, but mesh on others like work partnerships. The author did a very good job of describing these differences and attitudes.

Overall I thought this was a pleasing read and I enjoyed it. You can check out the first chapter of the book here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/75790909/The-Scent-of-Cherry-Blossoms-by-Cindy-Woodsmall-Chapter-1-Excerpt

About Cindy Woodsmall:
Cindy Woodsmall is a New York Times best-selling author whose connection with the Amish community has been featured on ABC Nightline and on the front page of the Wall Street Journal. She is the author of six novels, two novellas and Plain Wisdom, a work of non-fiction co-authored with her dearest Old Order Amish friend. Cindy lives in Georgia with her family.

This book was provided to me by Waterbrook Multnomah as part of the Blogging for Books program. All opinions expressed are my own.

Love and Blessings!
Margaret

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!