Friday, August 6, 2010

Book review: Pleading Guilty by Scott Turow

Pleading Guilty (Glassbook)Pleading Guilty by Scott Turow


My rating: 2 of 5 stars


About the book:
Mack Malloy is a partner in one of Kindle County's top law firms. An ex-cop who joined the firm on a wave of enthusiasm and optimism, he now feels himself to be on the way down, and possibly out. Bert Kamin, gifted, erratic and combative, is one of the firm's star litigators and he has disappeared.

My Review
I love legal thrillers as a rule. I just find it all very interesting to follow a case through to the end. However, in this case, I didn't enjoy it all that much. The story starts by giving some background on Mack, who is a mixed up guy and kind of bumbles his way through this case.  In other words, he's not really supposed to solve it, but he does.  I was a little disappointed in some of his actions along the way, but I guess that was supposed to make the storyline exciting.  Even so, there are a few surprises but not that "I can't believe that just happened" kind of surprises.  I would have loved to see more twists and more exciting sub-plots.

While the characters were pretty well-developed, the storyline was all over the place. The writer made the characters believable, and they really fit my impressions of big corporate law firms (haha!).  The storylines however, did not seem cohesive.  There was way too much going on!  It was really very annoying.

The ending was a little unexpected (I really thought Mack would respond differently) but I guess that's where it was heading anyway. It took me a LONG time to read this book and that also frustrated me! LOL!

Overall, I just wasn't impressed. Would I read another book by this author... maybe, but it won't be a priority.

Disclaimer: This was a book from my personal collection, I did not receive the book or any form of compensation in exchange for my review.

Love and Blessings!
Margaret



View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!