Monday, September 21, 2015

Review: Freedom's Child

Freedom's Child Freedom's Child by Jax Miller
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Freedom's Child by Jax Miller

From the cover:

Freedom Oliver has plenty of secrets. She lives in a small Oregon town and keeps mostly to herself. Her few friends and neighbors know she works at the local biker bar; they know she gets arrested for public drunkenness almost every night; they know she’s brash, funny, and fearless.

What they don’t know is that Freedom Oliver is a fake name. They don’t know that she was arrested for killing her husband, a cop, twenty years ago. They don’t know she put her two kids up for adoption. They don’t know that she’s now in witness protection, regretting ever making a deal with the Feds, and missing her children with a heartache so strong it makes her ill.

Then, she learns that her daughter has gone missing, possibly kidnapped. Determined to find out what happened, Freedom slips free of her handlers, gets on a motorcycle, and heads for Kentucky, where her daughter was raised. As she ventures out on her own, no longer protected by the government, her troubled past comes roaring back at her: her husband’s vengeful, sadistic family; her brief, terrifying stint in prison; and the family she chose to adopt her kids who are keeping dangerous secrets.

My Review
I received this ARC in return for my honest opinion regarding the book. When I started reading the book, I thought the writing pattern was a bit odd. After a few chapters, it was clear that Freedom was a mother on a mission. She secretly kept track of her children and too late realized they were in danger. As she does what I think any mother would do, sets out to rescue them, her trail is woven through some weird situations. When a rogue cop follows her to help her out, he not only puts himself at risk but Freedom also. What threw me off was the way each chapter seemed likes it's own sub story, it didn't always flow smoothly. I thought it would get better and make more sense as I got further into the story, unfortunately for me it didn't. While Freedom was an interesting character, I never felt like I got a good understanding of her character and I couldn't connect with her very well. The supporting characters were about the same. I get the feeling that there was a much deeper meaning to this story and somehow I missed it.

From a Christian Perspective
In a weird way I think this was supposed to be a story of redemption. The Pastor had lost his focus on Christ and the servant attitude which led to his downfall. As Christians, we must remember that our every action is to serve God. Bad language and craziness aside. I think this book is definitely for the adult reader, I would not allow kids to read it.

Love & Blessings!
Margaret

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!