Monday, July 19, 2010

Book Review: At her Majesty's Request: An African Princess In Victorian England

At Her Majesty's Request An African Princess in Victorian EnglandAt Her Majesty's Request An African Princess in Victorian England by Walter Dean Myers

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


About the book:

Sarah Forbes Bonetta was an African princess whose parents were murdered by enemy warriors. A British naval officer rescued her and brought her to England, where she became the protege of Queen Victoria herself.

My review:

This book reads almost like a real life fairy tale! A young girl is forced to watch her parents murdered and is then kidnapped for sacrifice by the enemy tribe. By fortune, a British Captain is there on the day of her scheduled demise and rescues her. She's whisked off to England where she becomes a prodigy, almost like a goddaughter to the Queen! The book follows Sarah from the time of her rescue to the time of her death.

I really enjoy biographies that are well written and this was no exception. It's written for Young Adults but even a middle school student will be able read this and understand. the beginning where her parents are murdered is the scariest part. I plan to have my 9 year old read it.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book and learning about this "adopted" princess.

This was a book from my personal collection.  I did not receive compensation for this review.  As always, the opinions expressed are entirely my own!

Love and Blessings!
Margaret

View all my reviews >>

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I'll add it to my list of soon-to-read goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome! It's a very quick but interesting read. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. does she get married to the prince?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!