Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Book Review: Choices by Katrina L. Burchett

ChoicesChoices by Katrina L. Burchett

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I'm so glad I purchased this book, it had so much substance and situations that I could relate to having once been a teen myself (a LONG time ago). Before I get into my review, here is a summary of the book:



Choices is a thought-provoking story about five teenage girls in the city of York, Pennsylvania and how the issue of teen sex affects each of their lives..... Shauntice Johnston has faith in God but the world of domestic abuse she lives in has left her with very little faith in the male gender. And then comes Terry, and her obedience to God's Word (flee fornication) is tested. Angel Nichols doesn't know her earthly father, doesn't care about the heavenly Father and feels neglected by her workaholic mother. She has had numerous sex partners since she was thirteen, trying to fill the void inside of her. LaKeeta Wilson is a Christian, but instead of doing it God's way and waiting for marriage she purposely became pregnant out of wedlock. Bridgette Anderson practices abstinence in obedience to God, and, no matter what, she will not compromise her beliefs. But this saint still has her flaws. Hope Patterson is a plain dressing, soft-spoken timid Christian girl who lives a sheltered life because of her strict mother. The word 'sex' isn't in her vocabulary until she suffers a loss.



My Review:


I love that the author takes the time to develop each character so you get to know them.  I love that this is about Christian teens who are not afraid to share their faith and about those who are frightened about what having faith means.  I love that the author chose to share the characters' flaws and not make them perfect.  The story is well written, easy to follow and as the summary says, very emotional.  I think I read through this a few days but It was so well worth the read.  After I read it, I just wanted to shout from the rooftops to these young women having unprotected sex but moreso I wanted to fall to my knees and pray for these young women.  While this is a Christian book geared toward teens and young adults, anyone reading will not feel like it's preachy.  It has a good rhythm and really keeps you interested until the end.  I can't recommend this book enough! This is definitely a five reading glasses book!


Disclosure:  This is a book from my personal collection and the opinions expressed are my own!


Love and Blessings!

Margaret


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so very much for the 5 stars, Margaret!! I'm so glad you enjoyed the story :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!