Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Book Review: Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1) #bookreview

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)Grave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ismae has lived a life of abuse, first her father and then her "husband" to be. Ismae is resigned to this life until she is rescued and sent to live with in the convent. This is no ordinary convent for they serve the gods of old, including the god of Death, Mortrain, for whom the convent is named. Ismae is extra special because she has the marks of the daughter. Ismae is trained in various arts until she is ready to perform her masters duties. This sits well with Ismae until she meets him, the one who changes everything for her!

This book follows Ismae from her life with her father to her arrival at the convent to her most important mission.  You can see the full description on Amazon: Grave Mercy (Book I): His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy)

I have to say I was fascinated with this book. Even with the subject matter, it was one of the most well written books that I have read in a while. When I first started reading it, I immediately got chills.  I almost put it down 1) because of the subject matter and 2) because it really scared me, I thought I was going to have nightmares!

But I have this thing about reading books, once I start them I have to finish them.  So I pressed on and I'm glad I did.  As you know if you've read my other reviews, I am an emotional person.  Any book that evokes an emotion from me ranks high.  Like I said earlier, this book put fear in me right from the start.  I felt sorry for Ismae but then with the let's say fervor that she took to her new responsibilities, I no longer felt sorry.  I loved that she felt empowered but in the end went with her gut feelings of knowing right from wrong.  The change in her from the beginning of the book to the end of the book was so subtle that I still gasped at the end of the result.  But then when I thought back over the book, I realized it was leading to this point all the time.

I also enjoyed the writing style of this book.  It seemed to start off slow and I will admit, it did drag in some parts.  But I have to say overall, the story was told very well.  I had to keep reminding myself that this was fiction. I'm not sure if I will read the future books in the series but we'll see!

From a Christian perspective:  Well, this is obviously not a Christian book so if that makes you uncomfortable, then you don't want to read this book.

I think some people will be offended because it does seem the convent is modeled after the Catholic Church.  I don't say this is right or wrong, it just is.

I don't recall any foul language, but there is brutality and murder.  Surprisingly, for the main characters, there is no extramarital sex although it comes close a few times.  However, it is hinted at in other parts of the book.  There is also an encounter with Death at one point.

It seems weird to give this book a high rating given the subject matter.  But since I review all types of books, I feel that is a fair rating and I stand by it.

I'm curious, as a Christian Reader, would you read this book?  

Disclaimer: I received this book from NetGalley and as a condition of accepting it, I agree to review it.  I was not compensated other than a copy of the book and opinions expressed are 100% my own.

Love and Blessings Always!
Margaret


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!