Saturday, June 23, 2012

Sugar Crash by Elena Aitken

Sugar CrashSugar Crash by Elena Aitken
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I know in my life, I have a hard time asking for help, especially from people outside of the family. So I can empathize with the main character, Darci Johnson.
In Sugar Crash, Darci has it all under control. She is the perfect mother even though she is a single parent, and she is perfect at her job. She doesn't need help and she doesn't ask for it. One does not interfere with the other and that is all that is important. That is until tragedy strikes and her daughter gets sick. After her daughter Taylor's diagnosis, Darci realizes that she has friends that she can count on in the most unexpected places.  It's ok to ask for help and even more importantly, it's ok to accept help!  It is heartwarming to see how her and Taylor's friends step up to help in amazing ways.

The author's writing style is very comfortable with an easy flow.  Her character development is flawless, especially the Coach and Susanna, the mother of one of Taylor's best friends.  I thought the way she portrayed the disease and the various reactions to the disease was realistic.  The whole book was engaging and I sped through it, putting some of my other books aside.

From a Christian perspective:  There was not much mention of God in this book that I can recall. Even in her desperate state, Darci tended to rely on human support rather than support from God.  I wholeheartedly feel that human support is important, however, I would have loved to see her relying on God to carry her through the difficult time.  A prayer, a visit from a pastor, a scripture that she held on to.  As I read more and more Christian fiction, I'm coming to rely on things like that being part of the story.  Even with the absence of faith, there was none of the other mystical and negative imagery that is so rampant in young adult books.  This book is a clean read, other than a few kisses and a date, there was no foul language (that I can recall) and no sexual situations.


I recommend this book for any reader who enjoys a quick but meaningful read.


The author included her information in the back of the book so you can find more about her at www.elenaaitken.com. 

You can also find this book on Amazon.com: Sugar Crash

This is a book from my personal collection. Opinions expressed are 100% my own.

Love and Blessings Always!
Margaret

2 comments:

  1. Margaret,
    I'm so glad I found this review. Thank you for taking the time to write it.
    I'm really pleased you enjoyed Sugar Crash! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elena, thanks so much for stopping by! I really enjoyed the book and was happy to write the review.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!