Thursday, May 31, 2012

Book Review: The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club #bookreview #christianbookreview

The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting ClubThe Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club by Wanda E. Brunstetter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


What a fantastic read!

Emma Yoder decided that after the death of her beloved Ivan, she was NOT going to depend on her children for support, even though that is the Amish way. Since she had the room in her home and the skill, she decided she would start teaching quilting lessons. What Emma didn't expect was, the response that she received and that she was going to be teaching a lot more than quilting!

My Review:

Emma's first quilting class attracted a unique group who didn't only bring their desire to quilt, but also their emotional baggage. A pastor's wife, a biker, a rocker, a widower and a married couple all join together to make this a wonderful rollercoaster of a book. 

I love books that encourage an emotional connection with the characters. Each character in this book appeals to a different reader, yet appeals to all if that makes any sense! They are knit together into a seamless story.  My favorite character was the biker, he was just full of contradictions but each made him more wonderful and more human. Emma is not without her own struggles with makes her all the more endearing. The interactions between her and her potential suitor are amusing but realistic.  In fact, the interplay between all of the characters is very well done.  

There was one scene in the book towards the end that seemed too obvious, it was something I had suspected from about the midpoint in the book.  That it turned out to be true kind of annoyed me (HA HA), I wanted to be surprised!  But other than that, I thought the conclusion was wonderful. Overall I can say I thoroughly enjoyed this book. This is my first time reading something from this author, however I can just about guarantee it won't be the last!


From a Christian perspective:
The love and grace of God is apparent throughout this Christian fiction book. It's presented in such a way that really touched my heart but I didn't feel like I was being preached at. Very safe, clean and wonderful read.


Disclaimer: I received and ARC of this book for the purpose of review. Opinions expressed are 100% my own.

Love and Blessings Always!
Margaret

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!