Thursday, May 10, 2012

Book Review: Not This Time by Vicki Hinze #christianbook

Not This Time: A NovelNot This Time: A Novel by Vicki Hinze
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not This Time: A Novel (Crossroads Crisis Center) is the third book in the Crisis Crossroads Center series. I read the first one Forget Me Not: A Novel (Crossroads Crisis Center) , but I did not read the second one, Deadly Ties: A Novel (Crossroads Crisis Center) .

In Not This Time, Sara and Beth are the two main characters. They have built a multimillion dollar company and are successful in their own right. When an act of terrorism occurs at a local wedding, the questions start. Who is behind this act and why? Who can they trust and who is the traitor? Beth is sure it has something to do with Sara's husband Robert but then he is kidnapped and presumably murdered, so she has no idea who to trust.  Even Sara, her best friend, is lying to her!  Beth puts everything she has into finding the truth about the attack and about Sara.  The more she finds out, the more danger surrounds Beth, Sara and the other residents of Seagrove Village.

My Review:
The author, Vicki Hinze, does a wonderful job of weaving the story. As you progress through the book, the author lures you into a false sense of "I have this all figured out" when BOOM! another twist comes. Your are kept guessing until the end chapters. 

I also thought the author did a great job of developing the characters, particularly Sara and Beth. The NINA team fit their roles so well as did the "good guys." How she managed to seamlessly weave in romances, I do not know but she did and did it well!  I found myself with emotional connections to the characters even though the were fictional.


It's been a while since I read the first book and I did feel like I was missing some of the nuances. There were some refreshers in there but not enough to make me remember the characters and players in this series. Even though this works as a standalone book, having read the first one, I knew I was missing some important tie-ins from the second book. For that reason, I would recommend reading this series from start to finish. I'm tempted to go back and read the first and second books.


While this is a Christian thriller, it's not slap you in the face religion. The characters faith, or lack, is subtly woven in throughout the story. Reliance on God is evident and comforting. I really love how this author was able to make the story exciting and fluid without having to remove the presence of God in the character's lives.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and look forward to more from this author. Thank you to Waterbrook Multnomah for allowing me to review this book as part of the blogging for books program.

If you want a sneak peek, go here to read the first chapter!

Love and Blessings Always!
Margaret

I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I've seen lots of good reviews on this book. thanks for your thoughts! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Diane, thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!