Monday, January 25, 2010

I'm done with PG movies

Or I'm a Prude.

Anyway you look at it, I'm DONE! Well at least done watching them with my 9 year old daughter. What caused this you ask? Well... ummm, have you been to see a PG movie lately? PG rating means Parental Guidance is suggested, I get that, really I do! BUT, why make your commercials so enticing to young children if the movie is not meant for them!!!

Take the recent rodent movie that came out around Christmas. These particularly loveable rodents, that apparently come in triplets, have mostly been for the younger crowd. We watched them in their mishaps... er adventures since they came to live with their human dad. So I innocently thought that even though the movie was rated PG, how bad could it be?

It was bad, in my opinion anyway. From the minute the video gaming, irresponsible "cousin" was left in charge, to the female rodents in their skimpy dress to them happily singing that catchy tune "Single Ladies" to the "happy ending" where the boyfriends and girlfriends happily went to bed... in the SAME room!!

Well call me a prude if you will but this is not the message I want to send to my young daughter (she gets enough of that from school!). As I sat there squirming in my seat I thought to myself, well at least this is going over her head. That is until I caught her side glances which told me that she KNEW it was inappropriate and she KNEW I was uncomfortable. What was I to do? My husband thinks I'm overreacting, and maybe I am a bit. But shouldn't I be able to watch movies comfortably with my children? Shouldn't I be able to watch with out worrying about sexual innuendos and curses disguised as "cute" phrases (that's another post altogether!). I really need help with this! I know that God has intstructed me to train my children(Proverbs 22:6), so how do I train them without them feeling like they are being punished?

How do you feel about PG movies for your young children? Does it depend on the subject matter? Do you wait until it comes out on DVD? I need help in this area because I know there are "fights" about this in my future.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

Love and Blessings!
Margaret