Monday, January 25, 2010

I'm done with PG movies

Or I'm a Prude.

Anyway you look at it, I'm DONE! Well at least done watching them with my 9 year old daughter. What caused this you ask? Well... ummm, have you been to see a PG movie lately? PG rating means Parental Guidance is suggested, I get that, really I do! BUT, why make your commercials so enticing to young children if the movie is not meant for them!!!

Take the recent rodent movie that came out around Christmas. These particularly loveable rodents, that apparently come in triplets, have mostly been for the younger crowd. We watched them in their mishaps... er adventures since they came to live with their human dad. So I innocently thought that even though the movie was rated PG, how bad could it be?

It was bad, in my opinion anyway. From the minute the video gaming, irresponsible "cousin" was left in charge, to the female rodents in their skimpy dress to them happily singing that catchy tune "Single Ladies" to the "happy ending" where the boyfriends and girlfriends happily went to bed... in the SAME room!!

Well call me a prude if you will but this is not the message I want to send to my young daughter (she gets enough of that from school!). As I sat there squirming in my seat I thought to myself, well at least this is going over her head. That is until I caught her side glances which told me that she KNEW it was inappropriate and she KNEW I was uncomfortable. What was I to do? My husband thinks I'm overreacting, and maybe I am a bit. But shouldn't I be able to watch movies comfortably with my children? Shouldn't I be able to watch with out worrying about sexual innuendos and curses disguised as "cute" phrases (that's another post altogether!). I really need help with this! I know that God has intstructed me to train my children(Proverbs 22:6), so how do I train them without them feeling like they are being punished?

How do you feel about PG movies for your young children? Does it depend on the subject matter? Do you wait until it comes out on DVD? I need help in this area because I know there are "fights" about this in my future.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

Love and Blessings!
Margaret

9 comments:

  1. I think you're reasonable and responsible! I definitely wait a lot for movies to come out on DVD. So much easier! I agree with you about the message from the 3 rodent movie! Sigh...This world was meant for those who are part of it. Since we're in the world and not of it, our views should be different! I'm with ya sister!

    ~Mimi from Max Lucado Community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband I differ on movies. I'm disappointed that the rodent movie has all that you said of course.
    He thinks it's a teaching opportunity, I think it's a way for Satan to weasel his way into our (and our childrens') heads!
    The only compromise I've come up with is that we preview a movie first in order to decide if our kids should watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, I think that when you are feeling "uncomfortable," that's the Holy Spirit prompting your "purity sensor." :) I think that the older my kids get the more confident I become to follow the Holy Spirit's leading as He brings God's Word to my mind and to give me the wisdom to steer my children. It's not always popular, and peers are not going to understand, but I know God holds me accountable. It really helps my children when I point them to what scripture says at a time when the movie in question isn't on, then it's "ready" in their hearts and minds when they need to understand and learn to discern.

    Be encouraged that the Lord is giving you what you need to know to parent your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your insight ladies, it's very helpful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog the other day. It's lovely to meet you.

    I agree that some movies are definitely not worthy of that PG rating; I'm sometimes perplexed at what they consider ok viewing and the rules seem to be vast and complicated.

    This particular movie was not one that worried me, what with them being chipmunks and all...it all seemed rather innocent to me...however I definitely understand your viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margaret, I believe you are so right about his particular movie. We did not watch it for the very reasons you described. You are not a prude - you are wise.

    There are such wholesome movies to watch - listen to your conscience. xox

    P.S. Thanks for passing by and saying hello. I always enjoy hearing from you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm a new follower from wednesday is friendsday over at themamazone.

    suzi

    confessionsofafitnessinstructor.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the same as you do. There are many movies out there I would not allow my children to watch.

    Then my husband and I disagree on what movies are appropriate and not. He likes many movies that I will not watch and I just have had to learn to deal with it. I just give my worries to God and pray that my husbands heart will change. There are so many TV shows out there that are very inappropriate. It is difficult trying to keep our children as innocent as possible when this garbage is everywhere.

    So in closing I do my best to supervise my children to make sure they are not being subjected to things that are not healthy for them. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in total agreeance with you...if it makes you uncomfortable, or if you feel a conviction in your spirit then that settles it...no more PG...I've been saying it for a while now>>>PG is the new rated "R"


    (and I am so very blessed to make your acquaintance)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!