Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Book Review - A Journey Into Prayer

A Journey into Prayer A Journey into Prayer by Evelyn Christensen


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
A Journey into Prayer is a book that is designed to take you step by step into building a better prayer relationship with God. Each devotion, gives a scripture and then an "application" paragraph with a short prayer at the end.

Overall the book was a good guide to understanding why we need to pray, understanding our motives and attitudes when we are praying and how our Christian walk affects how our prayers are received.

I like how she provided the scriptures, the simple prayers at the end and I loved the real life examples.

What I disliked is that the writing was a bit dry. It didnt' engage me as much as I like to be and therefore when I put the book down, I usually forgot and had to read it again before going on to the next day.

Overall I think this would be OK for someone new to the Christian Faith, to give them the basics. But for us "mature" Christians we need more of a kick in the pants!

View all my reviews >>


This book was from my personal collection.

Love and Blessings!
Margaret

5 comments:

  1. Gracious me! I looked at your bookshelf and you have totally inspired me to pick up a book again! I haven't read a lot since baby #2 which is 6 months old!

    Anyways, here is some recommendations for you if you haven't read them already.

    James Patterson's Jack and Jill

    Knowing God by J.I. Packer (GREAT BOOK for engagement!!)

    Pilgram's Progress by John Bunyan (Great book for a Christian. Amazing. People have compared The Shack to this book. There is no way in this world, heaven, and/or hell that the Shack can compare to Pilgram's Progress.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone suggested to me Prayers That Avail Much. I got that recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi margaret, thanks for your comment. i'm sure marketing has something to do with the poor sales of my friends dolls of color...she has a website/blog/etsy shop, but am not sure how she markets her stuff otherwise. she would love to continue making the dolls, that's why i posted on my blog. maybe you'd like to tell your group about them? she can work off of photos and make dolls look like whomever. hope you're having a good week. best,laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great book! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I caught the title on the Internet. Another angle is taken in my book with the same title, "A Journey Into Prayer" by Bill Sweet. The subtitle is "Pioneers of Prayer in the Laboratory."

    My version of a prayer journey was to write about the scientific tests of prayer and spirituality where effects were recorded from the prayers of many people from different religious backgrounds. Some of the work known as the Spindrift Studies have been mentioned in research. See www.SpindriftResearch.org For questions about prayer: click FAQ and the Documents page.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!