Wednesday, November 11, 2009

There are 44 Days Until Christmas

What are your traditions and is Christ a major part of the holiday for you?

Have you started your shopping? If you have, good for you! If not, WE need to get to it!

My son was easy this year, he's going on a trip with a friend's family the day after Christmas. He's very excited, mommy not so much as he will be travelling alone for part of the trip!

My daughter hasn't even made a list. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing!

This year, I've made a decision to be content with what I have, so the focus is sharing the joy of giving with the children in my family.

I've decided to try something with my kids this year. I want them to MAKE a gift for a member of the family. They can buy for all of the others if they want, but the gift for this particular person will be handmade. I want to do this as well. I know my mom wants a calendar so I'm thinking that will be her handmade gift.

What do you guys think of this idea?

Love and Blessings,
Margaret

6 comments:

  1. I think this is an absolutely wonderful idea! I think it will allow your kids to really put some thought into what they are giving. I would love to do something like that with my little one eventually (she's not too proficient with the crafting yet, haha - only 8 months old!)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think handmade gifts are the best. The last year I celebrated Christmas, that's what my family did and it was very special.

    As you know from a previous post of mine, we don't celebrate anymore. I'm sure I'll have a post later in the season about it...stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sarah yes I would say that's a bit too young!

    @Michelle I did read that post! I realize that Jesus was not born on this day however it is an opportunity to celebrate the birth of Jesus. That's how we choose to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the handmade idea. Homemade items have always struck a chord with me. It shows thoughtfulness.

    Aside from honoring Jesus, one of my favorite holiday traditions is Family Game Time. Somehow the family always gets a new game on Christmas. After eating Christmas dinner, the big laughs and the competition begins. My cheeks still hurt from all the laughing from last year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love after eating our Christmas Eve dinner to sit around a watch a Christmas movie together. Last year it was Barbie's Christmas Carol. LOL!!! I think homemade items are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi-my sons have already prepared their lists- some items are cheap whilst others are very expensive:). I don't make home made things for them but I do try and find some thing special/ different. Today after work I stopped off at the department store and picked up 3 books and a DVD box set for my youngest. so I can say I have offically started my Christmas shopping!!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!