Friday, May 21, 2010

Book Review: The Lovely Bones

The Lovely Bones The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold



My rating: 4 of 5 stars

To hear someone talk about the day they died is a little freaky! However, the author did such a great job of building the main character, it was completely believable! Then as she followed her family members through their lives, the one she would never have, it was interesting to see how she still managed to indirectly interact with them. Her father's pain, her sister's rebellion, her brother's hatred of his mother, the mother "finding" herself, the grandmother and her eccentricity. It all tied together and made sense.

When I read books like this, believability is a big factor for me. I found this book to be believable about what it would be like to look down from Heaven on your loved ones. It's sort of like the rich man who wanted Lazarus to warn his brothers.  I think the story was told in such a way that made you want to reach out and hug each member of the remaining family.  I think what was also important was the evolving (or dissolving) of the relationships between not only the family member, but the friends as well.

Overall, I thought this book had a well developed plot, had great characterizations and the ending was perfect (and it's not often I say that!).

This book is from my personal collection.  I received no compensation for writing this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.

Love and Blessings!
Margaret



View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loved this book. I read it a few years ago and I couldn't put it down! I haven't seen the movie yet, though. Her memoir, Lucky, is also very, very good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!