Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What Makes A Good Book Review

Hi readers!

I'm starting to read a lot more since the weather is getting cooler. I don't like the cold and I know I won't be outside much! LOL!

I was wondering, what in a book review helps you decide if you are going to read the book or not? I belong to a site called Goodreads, my current reading list in on the sidebar. Once I finish reading a book, I like to post a good review. Do you like general reviews or more specific reviews (like character, plot, setting)? Also do you care if there are spoilers in the review? On Goodreads, I can mark if it has spoilers, not sure if that will carry over to the blog? If you are a book reviewer, what are somethings you've found helpful to prepare you for writing a review?

Thanks for all of your input!

4 comments:

  1. Good question, Margaret. I like detailed reviews that help pique my interest about the characters. I don't like spoilers, but teasers rock my world :) I'm not an avid reviewer, but I do know that connecting with characters is key, so I'd imagine that's a good element of a worthwhile review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest I usually don't read lengthy reviews. I tend to look at how many stars a book is rated. You plan on reading more than you already do??? Girl, I rarely read a book a month. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like specific reviews, but definitely no spoilers. Thomas Nelson has guidelines they want their blog book reviewers to follow, maybe taking a look at that might help. I have an award for you at If Mama Ain't. Come pick it up when you can http://ifmamaaint.blogspot.com/2009/10/if-mama-aint-awarded.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Execumama, thanks for the input, I know I don't put enough character info in my reviews.

    @Nay The reviews usually don't decide it for me if it's something I really want to read, otherwise it helps me decide if it's a read now our I can wait. I'm usually reading two books at a time, one on my iPod Touch and one paper book.

    @Anitra I will definitely check that out. I'm on my way to your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!